Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lotions and Potions!

Homemade Lotion
1/4 C Emulsifying wax
1/4 C Olive Oil
2 T Shea butter
heat in pyrex in micro for 1 min.
add scent to oils.
heat 1/4 C water in micro for 1 min.
add warm water to oils.
jar and cool overnight.

Next time I will be making this with Cocoa Butter and coconut oil! This was my first time and it was an experiment so i did not want to waste too many ingredients, in the event it was no good.
I LOVE this stuff!!


Homemade Deodorant
1/3 C Corn Starch
1/3 C Baking Soda
2 T Vitamin E Oil
3 T Coconut Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Lavender or Eucalyptus Oil

I saved four old D.O. containers from my husband and I to store this stuff in.
I ended up not really following these directions. :) I started with these and then made some changes to make it the right consistency, mostly adding more corn starch and baking soda, and then eventually a little water.
This will fill two old deodorant holders and have some leftover. Store in mason jar in fridge.

**I am almost done with my backup of this stuff, so i will be trying a new recipe that is a little different, I will let you know how i feel about it when I do!

Homemade Castille Soap
40 0z. Oil
5 oz. Coconut Oil
5 oz. Palm oil
16 oz. cold water
6.7 oz lye crystals

weight all ingredients and put in pot and heat to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix the lye with the cold water and it will heat up, wait until it cools down to add to pot. Wear gloves and do this in a well ventilated area as it is a potent chemical and will give you a killer headache. Be careful with this stuff. Then alternate whisk and blend until "trace".
add fragrance.
Pour into parchment lined mold.
After storing overnight, pull out soap and cut into squares. Handle with gloves as the lye will burn your skin.
Store upright and spaced out for 6 weeks on a cooling tray lined with a cloth.

We have made this with just a little lemon and tea tree oil once, and the other time we added whole lavender flowers to make an exfoliating soap. We love both. It works out to cost less than .50 cents a bar.

These three are some of my favorite little homemade delights. :)

4 comments:

  1. Where do you buy this stuff? I might have to try some of these! ;) -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mountain Rose Herbs is a good site to buy a lot of the stuff, except a lot of the oils you can get at Costco and Trader Joes. also check out asonomagarden.wordpress.com for the originals of most of these, I tweeked them to how I wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Kelly by the way.... :)

    ReplyDelete