Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Homemade All Natural Stewarts

Well, it has been a while since I have done anything with this blog, but given all the exciting things that Ricky and I have been doing, I thought I should share.

We have decided that we are sick of bringing toxic chemicals into our home and purchasing cleaning supplies that I could make for CHEAP by buying just a few basic ingredients.

We have been very successful in making:
Castille Soap(so far so good, but they are not FULLY done until July 4th)
Dishwasher Detergent
Laundry Detergent
Dishwashing Liquid Soap
Tooth Powder

I have a few more things on the list to get done, just as soon as we finish up our old supplies. The next to be made will be some homemade all natural deodorant, and I am stoked! We have also had some great luck making some basic surface cleaners and baking powder scouring scrubs, however I have not used them enough to feel confident in sharing the recipe. But I will let you all know.

As for in the kitchen, well my dear sweet husband has discovered yet another wonderful gift God has blessed him with, and that is the gift of making some truly remarkable homemade breads. He has made homemade sourdough bread, homemade focaccia bread(tough to make but SO SO SO good), and some really amazing sourdough english muffins. I will picking his brain for the recipes tonight and will share them asap.

We also began making our own butter this past weekend, and besides being really fun, it tastes great. You also end up with some non-fat milk as a bonus! Our last adventure was homemade chicken stock, now this is NOT for someone who can't handle some serious chicken bones(feet, neck, back, etc). It takes hours and two huge stock pots, but the result is a huge supply of canned chicken stock to always have on hand. And the best part, it is VERY inexpensive and no MSG or any other crazy ingredients.

I have pictures of all of these wonderful items, but have yet to upload them to the computer. But when I do, I will be sharing some really wonderful recipes and you should be very excited.


4 comments:

  1. Design*Sponge has some good ideas for homemade green cleaning products if you're ever bored and have time for blog stalking... :) - glad you're having so much fun making things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewwwww. just buy the organic stock at costco!! or, keep making it and sell it to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know how I feel about homemade toothpaste and deodorant... where did you hear about this stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm very proud of you guys.... did you convert to amish (omish... awwww-mish) since I last hung out with you? Just wondering. - love kimboslice

    ReplyDelete